7 cities where powerful earthquake occurs very often
The earthquake is one of the worst natural disasters. Over the last millennium the number of deaths exceeds five million people.
Scientists have discovered the nature of such a phenomenon, have learned how to measure seismic activity and how to identify areas with it. However, to get the exact prediction when, where and in what time is not possible. Similarly, seismologists can not answer what strength of aftershocks can be expected, which destruction it will course.
7 cities where powerful earthquake occurs very often
Mexico City, Mexico
One of the most highly populated cities in the world Mexico City is known for its unsafety. In XX century, this part of Mexico felt the strength of more than forty earthquakes magnitude over 7 on the Richter scale. In addition, the soil under the city is saturated with water, which makes high-rise buildings to be vulnerable in the case of natural disasters.
The most powerful earthquake was in 1985, it killed about 10 000 people. In 2012, the epicenter of the earthquake occurred in the south-eastern part of Mexico, but vibrations were felt in Mexico and Guatemala, about 200 houses were destroyed.
The second largest city of Chile is Concepcion, it is located in the heart of the country near Santiago, the city becomes a victim of aftershocks regularly. In 1960, the famous Great Chilean earthquake with a highest magnitude in the history of 9.5 points destroyed this popular Chilean resort and Valdivia, Puerto Montt and others cities.
In 2010, the epicenter was located near the back of Concepcion, thousands of homes were destroyed, and in 2013 the center of earthquake has plunged to a depth of 10 kilometers on the coast of central Chile (with magnitude 6.6 points). Today, however, Concepcion does not lose popularity among seismologists and tourists.
Several times this young city, located in the central part of Ecuador in two and a half hours drive from the capital Quito, was destroyed by earthquakes. Tremors of 1949 were the most powerful, they leveled many buildings and claimed more than 5,000 lives.
Today seismic activity in Ecuador remains the same: in 2010, a powerful earthquake measuring 7.2 points occurred in the south-east of the capital, and was felt throughout the country, in 2014, the epicenter has moved to the Pacific coast of Colombia and Ecuador.
Not casually the Japanese proverb says: "Earthquakes, fires, and the father - the most terrible punishment." As you know, Japan located at the junction of two tectonic plates, their friction often cause both small and highly destructive tremors.
For example, in 2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami near the island of Honshu (magnitude 9 points) led to the deaths of more than 15,000 Japanese. At the same time, residents of Tokyo already got used to several annual minor earthquakes. Regular fluctuations make the impression on visitors only.
Wellington, New Zealand
The capital of New Zealand is a very picturesque place. Meanwhile, the city has been and still it is a seismically active area, each year local people experiencing the tremors of varying strength. In 2013, just 60 kilometers away, a powerful earthquake of magnitude 6.5 points, which resulted loss of electricity in many parts of the country.
In 2014, residents of Wellington felt tremors in the northern part of the country (magnitude 6.3 points).
Chengdu is the ancient city, the center of southwest China's Sichuan Province. Here people enjoy a comfortable climate, visiting the numerous attractions, imbued with the unique culture of China. From here it is possible to get on the tourist route to the gorges of the Yangtze River and to the Jiuzhaigou, Huanglong and Tibet.
Recent events decreased number of visitors to this region. In 2013, the province endured powerful earthquake of magnitude 7 points, when more than 2 million people were affected, about 186,000 homes were damaged.
Each year Chengdu residents feel the action of thousands tremors of varying strength. In recent years, the western part of China has become particularly dangerous in terms of seismic activity.
A long time before scientists predicted catastrophic earthquake in Iran, the whole country is in one of the most seismically active regions in the world. For this reason the capital Tehran, home to more than 8 million people, has repeatedly planned to carry. The city is situated on the territory of several seismic fault. Tremors of 7 points would destroy 90% of Tehran, local buildings are not designed for such violence of nature. In 2003, powerful earthquake of 6.8 points put in ruins another Iranian city - Bam.
Most countries use the Modified scale of Mercalli to indentify earthquake’s intensity, which has 12 levels of intensity. It allows to measure external features and to analyze destructions.
1. The tremors of such force are not felt by anyone, except for some people if there are the relevant circumstances
2. Some people may feel the tremors if they are dormant, the owners of upper floors feel them more often then the others.
3. The tremors of this level can be quite clearly felt in the room, especially on the upper floors of buildings, but many people do not take it as an earthquake.
4. During the day, an earthquake is felt by many people who are in the room. There is a slight rattle of dishes, windows, creaking of doors; cracking of walls; liquid spills from open vessels.
5. Aftershocks at this level are felt by almost everyone. Dishes are breaking, windows also, etc, unstable objects are tripping.
6. It is felt by all people. Some heavy furniture is moving. Chunks of plaster are falling off, chimneys are breaking down.
7. Everyone is frightened. There are many overturned furniture, there are many leafless leaves from trees and shrubs. Even drivers in cars can feel it. There is shift of cornices, brick walls, slabs and stones.
8. There is slight damage to permanent buildings, great destruction of old buildings, broken chimneys, smokestacks, drop columns, monuments and walls.
9. Damage and partial destruction of all the buildings occurs during the strong earthquake of this level. Noticeable cracks appear in the soil. Gaps happen in the system of underground pipelines. People can observe individual slides.
10. Even some sturdy wooden buildings begin to crumble. Most masonry and frame structures are destroyed with foundations.
11. Almost all buildings are destroyed. Bridges also are destroyed by powerful earthquake. Levees are damaged much the same with the dams and embankments. Aftershocks caused a strong curvature of the rails.
12. Almost everything is destroyed. Objects rise in the air. The ground moves in waves. Such powerful earthquake can course movement of large amounts of rock.